Why practice Aikido ?
Register To Post

Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Bottom
Poster Thread
Anonymous
Posted on: 2004/5/17 14:56
Why practice Aikido ?
Greetings!

John Boswell from Midland here. I just came across the "Polls" section and saw an interesting result there; thought it would make for good discussion and conversation here on the forum!

So... why DO you practice Aikido?

There were two main groups: those finding spiritual insight and those finding self-confidence.

Very interesting indeed.

It has been my experience since joining up in aikido over two years ago, that many people tend to tap dance around the concept of religion and any relation it might have to aikido. Based on this behavior, I want to share a few thoughts of my own... as best as I can.

We live in a VERY "politically correct" world right now. Everyone is trying so hard not to offend others, which is fine... until you disrespect the very thing which you believe in.

I believe the founder was an exceptionally spiritual man. It seems almost a fact that aikido promotes good health, self discipline, increased stamina, respect, integrity and honor among countless other qualities. But one should be careful to NOT disregard your own spirituality.

There are millions of christians, muslims, hindu, jews and others of various religious background. What they all have in common is: spirituality. The body is a tool with which we make our way through the world. When you die and go to heaven, etc... you know your body doesn't go. It gets buried or altered in someway. That which goes on from here... that is the real You. THAT is the person that O'Sensei is wanting to change through aikido.

I am not looking to rock anyone's boat or upset people, only to bring a light to a subject that I see getting danced around too often. Don't make up your mind on anything with regards to aikido and what it does for you.

Practice.
Think off the mat about practice.
Look at the basics you've learned and the concepts of blending and moving forward and simple things.

Whenever we bow, I know I do not practice any religion in doing so. I bow to O'Sensei out of respect. But when I do, I thank him. I do my best to say so, in my mind... each and every time.

Aikido is a journey that I have only just begun. Why I practice Aikido is because it is the most exciting journey I have ever taken... and it's just outside my door.

Best wishes to everyone! Here's hoping we can have a good discussion on this and many subjects in the future... even if I talk/type too much.
JGarcia
Posted on: 2004/5/24 1:06
Webmaster
Re: Why practice Aikido ?
I agree that it isn't politically correct to discuss the theme of religion and aikido in class. I think its because of several factors. One is that the Founder's religion was so different from everyones including most of the people in Japan. As a result, while there was no doubt that O Sensei integrated his religious beliefs into his aikido practice, if we try to do so, it is almost a no win situation because you run the risk of offending everyone in the room since hardly anyone in the world has his religion today. The Founder clearly stated that aikido was not a religion. Because of that, it has allowed people of all religions to practice aikido without breaking the tenents of their own religions since most of them prohibit practicing a different one except for the most liberal and far eastern ones which are circular rather than linear. Linear religions prohibit the practice of others while the circular ones see them as basically all doing the same thing or at least traveling the same path toward the same goal. It's just that it must be recognized by all concerned that the linear religions do NOT see things that way and in order to respect people in a linear religion, we tend to stay away from the subject so that we can all practice aikido together.
It must also be recognized that if a person makes the tenets of any religion a prerequiste for doing aikido, then a bunch of us will be out and the truth is that 99.9 percent of all the people, including those in Japan did not join aikido to be a part of O Sensei's religion. His religion was one of very specific beliefs and should those be made a requirement to practice aikido, I don't believe in my heart that I know anyone in aikido today except for a very few that could allow themselves to do aikido anymore. That would then go counter to what the founder said that he wanted which was to make all aikidoists one human family through the practice of aikido.
These are some of the reasons I think people "dance "around this subject. Because they want to stay away from a place that would force them to quit practicing the art.
Best wishes,
Sensei Jorge
Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Top

Register To Post